Family Law Blog

Do I need to attend Mediation?

Under the Family Law Act (CTH) 1975 separated parents must make a genuine effort to resolve any child related disputes through mediation before applying to the Court for a parenting order (except in some discrete circumstances such as urgency).

If you and your ex are trying to negotiate arrangements for your kids and are struggling to reach agreement on your own, mediation is usually an excellent option that is cost effective and can help you stay focused on resolving your matter whilst preserving your relationship.   

Mediation gives people the chance to negotiate their own arrangement which can then either be formalised into a parenting plan or a consent order. 

Mediation should be facilitated by a registered family dispute resolution practitioner (Mediator). The Mediator is in an impartial person, who is able to discuss the family law process with you and assist you to reach an agreement that is tailored to suit your family’s needs.

There are various types of mediation centres available

Not for profit

Government run organisations that offer family dispute resolution at no cost to some families.


Set their own rates which vary from centre to centre.

At the conclusion of the mediation process, the Mediator will issue a certificate which sets out whether you were able to reach agreement or not. If you were unable to reach agreement and you need to issue court proceedings, this certificate is attached to your court application to show the court that you have attempted mediation as a first resort.

If you need more information regarding the mediation process and the different types of agreements, please click on the links below


Tamie Moore – Law Graduate

Our Blog

May 15 2019
With Season 6 of Married at First Sight recently aired in Australia, the term “gaslighting” was often mentioned in commentary around the show, but what is “gaslighting”? The term “gaslighting” is adopted from the well...
April 5 2019
There are 3 ways in which parents can arrange their child support matters. They are: via an administrative assessment; via a child support agreement; via informal agreement. Administrative Assessment The Child Support (Assessment)...
March 27 2019
Essentially there are six ways to negotiate or achieve a property settlement with your ex. Working up in order of complexity and cost they are as follows; 1. Kitchen table negotiations. Some people are lucky enough to be able to...

Contact Us

Call us +61 3 7002 6222

Email us click here

Visit us Raglan House, 4/27-33 Raglan Street
South Melbourne VIC 3205 map